Journey Series

Journey Series

Monday, October 24, 2016

Flash Fiction Phrase Scene - Moving Forward


Hope all is well today. It’s been an amazing weekend for me. I spent a lot of time with my family, gathering stuff to make for the Christmas tree and some outside/inside decorations. I’m going to be super busy painting and creating something other than stories for you guys. This shopping and gathering is what inspired this week’s scene.
Enjoy the rest of your week and remember:
Let your imagination soar when you read.
Julia
* * *
Adult Content
If under Eighteen leave the site, please.
* * *
Sunlight shown, lighting the clear blue sky with some yellows and orange. The softness of the image relaxed me enough to do the tuff task I’d put off for over two years. Whoever said moving forward was easy never faced the challenge.
Jane would have came back from the afterlife just to kick my own ass. She told me multiple times during her struggle with MS that she did not want me to mourn her the rest of my life. She wanted me to get back to the life I used to love. The rush of the chase of a stupid criminal who thought he had enough energy to outrun the big bad Joseph The Animal. Little did people know that the name was more accurate than they dreamed possible. What made me good at my job was my extra strong sense. Having a hidden tiger sure gave me a leg up among people.
“You’re procrastinating.” I gripped the gold urn in my hand. “You can do this. It’s simple.”
Boy was it anything but. Hardest task I ever had to do. I had many talents thanks to my tiger, but taking away a human illness was not one of them. My mom had told me I was setting myself up for heartbreak when I married her. Not because Jane would die one day, but because my mom wanted me to wait until I ran across my true mate. I cared less for waiting. Jane was the perfect woman for me. Loyal. Loving. Caring. Beautiful. Awesome. There was no one like her in the world.
“Son,” my dad’s voice had me spinning around, “I thought you might need some help.”
He did.
“I know losing someone you love is hard. Doing as they wish is even worse.”
How did his dad know? He’d been mated for twenty-seven years.
“Joseph, I’m going to tell you something that your mother wanted kept from you.”
“Huh? What are you going on about? Why would mom keep something from me?”
“When I was eighteen I met and married a human woman. I loved her with all my heart.” His father sighed. “Part of me always will.”
His dad had married a human? Wow. Not something I ever considered as a possibility.
“A year after we married she gave me a beautiful little girl. I watched her take her first step. Heard her first word.”
A unknown child. I sat the urn down before I dropped it. My job was to release Jane’s ashes across the orchid meadow where we met. Not break the urn and dump her ashes like a fool.
“The day after her fourth birthday I met your mother. There was no denying she was my mate. There was no denying what I had to do. No matter how much it hurt and boy did it. I told your mother upfront about my wife and daughter. We discussed how to handle things.” His dad wiped his brow and looked up at the sky. “Your mother and me knew the pull of the mate would not allow us to be apart for long. I went home and broke the news to my wife. She was so ticked at me that she took our daughter and left the house. Five hours later, the law came to the house and informed me of the wreck that took her life.”
Shit. That had to be hard. A daughter gone along with the woman he loved. His father must have blamed himself for their loss. Had part of his father blamed his mate? I would have. I would have blamed anyone for Jane’s passing if there was someone to take it. There was.
“Took me about five months to come to terms with what had happened. Your mother helped me deal, but it was no easy on her. Do you see why she was so deadest on you waiting to find your mate? She wanted to save you from the pain I suffered.”
He did, but still did not agree with his mother’s thoughts. “Do you regret your time with your wife and daughter?”
“Not one minutes.”
“I do not regret one minute of my time with Jane. Never will.”
“I know son.” I picked up the urn and opened it. “Join me in putting my wife to rest.”
“Would be my honor.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment