Journey Series

Journey Series

Monday, August 17, 2015

Author’s Ramble On Book Classification and Update

Hi all,

Okay, I’m an organized person in almost all areas of my life, but putting books, music, video, or games into certain categories doesn’t appeal to me. I view them as fun and relaxing, which for me means I get to disregard all the structure I build for my life. Doesn’t mean I don’t understand the reason behind it. I do. I mean how many books are there published daily and already out there. There has to be some way to locate what you like to read.

However, these days most books don’t fall into just one category. So, an authors or publishers have to deem which their books fits into best. Problem is, not everyone has the same opinion on these. Yes, there are genre standards and guidelines, but coming from a reader’s perspective, it doesn’t always match with what I view a certain book as. Plus, as a reader and avid book buyer, I hate to go and look for a book in a bookstore when I view an author as Sci-Fi/Fantasy and I find the book stuck away in a total different genre group. I think this is why when I go to the bookstore these days, and I’m looking for a new author’s book, I automatically go to the helpdesk. Okay, this also might be because if I search through each genre I’ll find ten to twenty books other than the one I came for. Not bad for my reading time, but hard as heck on my wallet.

(Guess by now you’ve assumed I had yet another experience along this line when I was hunting a book this past week. Problem was, instead of the book I went after I ended up with three others, and not the one I went after. Know, I’ll have to wait to read the one I was looking forward to. Oh, well, gives me something to look forward to.)

I also think my view on classification of entertainment is why I have such a dang-gum blasted time deciding what area I declare my e-books. It’s bad when I can say deeming what genre my e-book falls into is just as aggravating as editing them. Yet, like I stated early I can see why and how doing so can assist readers as well.

Now, I’ve rambled on enough, so I’m going to move onto the update section of this post.

Update Time

This week I’ve strayed from the phrase/scene flash fictions I’ve been doing the last few weeks. Not actually sure why, but this ramble came to me instead, so like most author’s I went with what hit. Next week my plan is to return to the flash fictions stuff. I’m in the process of working on a blog story that I hope to have ready to release by the end of the year. No promises, but we’ll see.

Also, for the meantime I’ve let the book I’ve been preparing for release go. I’ll be coming back to it, at some point and time, but for now I’m going to move onto another story. I know this means there will be yet a longer delay on me releasing another book, but . . . Sometimes what an author thinks will work don’t mesh with what the characters of said book likes. When that happens you have to take a step back and approach it at another time. But I promise there will be another release from me as soon as I can get another free write through revisions and edits.

In the meantime, I’ll keep you update here, my website, and Facebook page. Until I have another for you to enjoy and get lost in, I hope you find some other great reads.

Hope everyone has a great week and remember:

Let your imagination soar when you read and write.

Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment