Journey Series

Journey Series

Monday, August 25, 2014

How do you choose a good book?

What do you consider when choosing a book?

Cover.
Title.
Author’s name
Word of mouth
Other author comments
Social media
Back cover

Maybe you use a combination of all of them or part of them.

There are loads of ways for us to choose which books we read/buy. There is no right or wrong way. Authors have to keep all of those areas in mind when we are preparing our stories. (Specially, if we are a self-publisher) So, how do I take these things into consideration when I’m preparing a book for release?

I break my decision basing skills into to categories and then ask myself some questions:

Author’s I’ve never read
1.     Does anything from afar catch my eye? For me, I look at the cover, and glance at title.
2.     Does the back cover sound interesting? Then I read the back cover. If my interest is piqued then I check out the first couple of pages.
Then make my decision.

Author’s I read regularly
1.     First, I find out if it is in a series of theirs that I am reading. If  so, then there no other options than to buy it.
2.     If it’s not in a series that I’m reading then I treat it as a new author’s book. Some think this is bad form. The way I look at is, just because I love their other books, doesn’t mean I will enjoy every book they publish.

There’s how I pick a book. I would love to hear from all of you on you decide which books to read.

Have a great week.

Remember let your imagination soar when you read or write.

Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment