Journey Series

Journey Series

Monday, June 16, 2014

Many Hats of Self-Publishing

Many Hats of Self-Publishing

As you’ve heard me write on my blog before, Self-Publisher has many different jobs. Some of us hire others to help us out, and some of us tackle them all. In my case, I tackle them all. That means I have to go from one mindset to another.

Most given days, I begin out in writer mode, which is exactly what it sounds like. I write whatever comes into my head. This is what I refer to as my Writer’s Hat. Once I’ve completed a story, it has to be revised; therefore I’m still in wearing my Writer’s Hat. Of course, I have to edit, which I dread each and every time I sit down and put on my Editor Hat. Each book has to have a cover, yet another switch of the hats. Time to put on the Designer Hat. Of course, I don’t get to do much advertising, but I do enough that I have to put on my Advertising Hat to come up my YouTube commercials as well as the flyers, and emails I send out. Let’s not forget the business side of being a self-publish, which means I have to put on the Accountant Hat. These are the main ones that I use daily and weekly. There are others at times of course.


No matter how many hats I wear in a given day or week, I enjoy each, some more than others. My favorite would be the Writer’s Hat. Least favorite would be Editor Hat, since it’s the toughest one for me to accomplish since it’s my weakest area. No matter what it has to be done, until I source the jobs out. So, I bit the bullet and drive forward, hoping each and every time I do, that I pick up some new bit of information that will help me improve on this particular hat.

Remember to enjoy each and every book your read by letting your imagination run free.

Have a great week,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment