Journey Series

Journey Series

Friday, December 20, 2013

Sections 2 of Life Turned Upside Down: Miss Donna's Story

Life Turned Upside Down
Miss Donna’s Story
By
Julia Matthews
(section 2)
“Doubt he’ll care that another man’s child was kicked out of my home.”
My hot angry skin felt as thought someone had splashed ice water over me. Donna knew her face had gone pale. For a few moments everything around me seemed to be in a tunnel. I heard mom yelling and begging for dad to stop. Dad chuckled as he told her to hush her mouth.
Donna shook her head a couple of times, clearing the fogginess in time to see dad move in front of mom. Protective instinct kicked in, and I jumped in front of him. Stupid of me, yet, knowing dad there had to be more, if it was true. Dad might have been using it as a prevention method.
“What does that mean?” I asked, as he halted his advance on mom, buying her a few more minutes before she had to deal with him.
“Means exactly what I said. You. Are. Not. My. Child.”
Dad looked back at mom who still held a pleading look, which only had dad laughing for a few minutes before he spoke again.
“Your mother was about to mate to another man.” Dad spat on the floor. “To a were-wolf, but as you know old laws stated that since Mother Earth mated, I had the right to change her. Choice was easy for me. Then she chose to follow her Mother Erath mate.”
“Lie,” Spittle flew. “I am a were-panther. Or has your nose finally stopped up.” Such a comment would piss him off, but hell it was correct. No scent of a wolf lived on me. I’d never once shifted to a wolf, only a panther.
“Indeed.” Dad spat again. “You are a child of a were-wolf, who carries the human gene, as well as the panther gene.”
“How?” Wasn’t sure what that question meant. Might have been how did he know. Could have been how was it possible. Got more of an answer than I wanted.
“Friend of mine says it’s due to me changing your mom while she carried a child. Rotten streak of luck, one could say. I got landed with a lousy Mother Earth mate, who loved someone else. Worse she stuck me raising another man’s child.” Anger grew with each word he said, but anything else dad said was drowned out by Donna’s internal thoughts.
A were-wolf, A were-wolf. A were-wolf.
It was the only thing registering. My biological father is a were-wolf who let my mom go. Did he know about me? Why had mom chosen to go with dad? With such a bastard and mean man? Had that been why? Or had it been due to the Mother Earth mating pull.
“Knowing that do you think your dear old friend, Pride Master King would enforce the rule.”
Dad was right. Pride Master King would have to kick me out. No mixed breeds were allowed in any pride. From what dad had just said, mom had been a human who was pregnant by a were-wolf before he turned her. Mother Earth, this was a nightmare. I tried getting to my mom, who stood in the hallway crying and begging for dad not to tell the pride master.
As I did, dad grabbed my arm, and slammed me up against the wall. With spittle flying out he said, “There is two choices. Leave with or without the check. Leaving without means Pride Master King gets informed. Your choice.” He leaned in closer and whispered, “What do you think young Tally will think about you being a damned mixed breed?”
 Tally wouldn’t care. Neither would Pride Master King, but supernatural laws had to be enforced and there’d be no way around it. There was only one choice.
With what little breath remained in me, I said, “Check.” Dad’s gripped loosened. Donna inhaled and said, “May I back a couple bags?”
“Good decision, Donna.” He released me and motioned to the dresser. “Two bags of only clothes and two photos.” Dad faced a red-eyed mom and frowned. “Get yourself cleaned up. You look like a sniveling little brat.”
Mom shot me one more look, and then scurried off to do as told. Couldn’t hold it against her. Dad had always been a controlling manipulating bastard and that wouldn’t change. Apparently, I was reason. My leaving might mean a better life for her.

NEXT SECTION WILL BE POSTED ON DEC. 22

REMEMBER THIS IS A  a work of fiction. All names, characters and events are from the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to actual events or person is purely coincidental.

Uploading and distributing this book by any means without permission from the publisher is illegal and punishable by law.
Copyright © Julia Matthews December 201

No comments:

Post a Comment