Journey Series

Journey Series

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Sections 1 of Life Turned Upside Down Miss Donna’s Story

Life Turned Upside Down
Miss Donna’s Story
By
Julia Matthews

CHAPTER 1
Moonlight lit my way, as I walked home. No not walked, floated. Or it felt like it. No one, not even my parents, had ever given me such a huge birthday party. Not even whispers or question about my lacking parents had destroyed the festive atmosphere.
Little Tally King, future pride master of London Pride, and his best friend Jacob, ensured that only my favorite foods had been cooked. Music had filled the huge clearing behind the pride house. Moonlight provided enough light for any were-panther. It had been perfect, and nothing could destroy such a wonderful night. Or so I thought.
Screams, well my dad’s yelling greeted me as I entered my childhood home. There was no telling what had set dad off. There was no way I’d let him destroy my good mood. I carried my new picture of Tally and Jacob, which Pride Master King had given me as a birthday present, to my room. Just as I reached a small table beside my bed, the door was thrown open.
Dad’s tall muscular body loomed in the doorway with one of his shit eating grins. One I’d grown to know meant only trouble for me. Lack of being home for last five hours meant whatever had pissed him off hadn’t been my fault. Consequences would be mine to reap, though.
“Donna, guess your celebration is over.”
Dad squinted eyes, and a sour scowl showed that it wasn’t a question to be answered. So, I waited for him to continue. Dad took two large steps inside my room, tossed a piece of paper towards me. I let it fall on top of my faded pink bedspread.
“Please,” Mom softly spoke from the doorway.
Dad spun and pointed to the hallway. Mom took a huge chance at lingering long enough to look at me. I sort of wished she hadn’t. Her typical dull blue eyes were grayer and held a lot of sadness. Finally, mom slowly turned her fragile thin body, and moved into the hallway.
Dad spun back towards me and said, “Take that and get the fuck out of my house.”
Shocked and confusion froze me. I couldn’t even respond.
No movement.
No words.
After a couple of minutes dad propped his arms on his hips and screamed for me to get out.
That triggered my brain into gear. I reached for the paper. Looked at it, and felt rage consume every area of my body. I lifted it and snapped out a question.
“What’s this for?”
“I told you. Get out. That’s enough money for you to leave this country.”
His dead, unsympathetic tone only aided in my rage, and gave me courage to stand up to him for the first time in my life.
“This,” I waved the check at him, “is against our way of life.”
Dad took a step closer and said, “What you going to do about?”

Donna didn’t step back. Every verbal assault he’d given me over the last eighteen years flashed through my mind. Without even thinking I stepped forward, squared my shoulders, positioning myself a hairs breath away from him and said, “I’ll go to Pride Master King.”

NEXT SECTION WILL BE POSTED TOMORROW

REMEMBER THIS IS A  a work of fiction. All names, characters and events are from the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to actual events or person is purely coincidental.

Uploading and distributing this book by any means without permission from the publisher is illegal and punishable by law.
Copyright © Julia Matthews December 201

No comments:

Post a Comment